Sunday, May 22, 2011

The "Nerd" Club


The "Nerd" Club is a self named club that Ali and a few of her class mates made up. I thought that it was so cute that they called their own club the nerd club, and that ali was in it with a bunch of other kids. Each day she would come home and tell me their latest "song/chant" that they made up just for their club. Then she would come home with some dance moves that they made up all dealing with being a member of "their club!" Then stories about other kids started coming home. Some of the stories involved kids saying mean things and some of it not very nice in the end. I was starting to wonder a little bit about what to do when Ali came home and we had this sweet little conversation.

As I was tucking Ali into bed last week she pulled me close to hug her and asked if she could talk to me about something. Of course I put on my serious listening ears because it must be serious to her. She told me that she didn't want to be a member of the nerd club anymore because she didn't like the way they were acting and treating other people. She told me though that if she quit she wouldn't have anymore friends because most are a part of the nerd club. I asked her what was the problem and she said that some of the girls whisper and say mean things about other girls and they are not nice to them and she does not like it. I asked why they did that and didn't just play and have fun and she said they just act better than everyone else and tell people that they can't play with them because they are not in the nerd club. I looked at her wondering exactly what the right thing was to say when she responded, "I already know I have to quit because it isn't nice and the way i would want to be treated, I just am really sad because then I won't have any friends left."
I held her close and told her that if she makes the right decision, which she has already decided on, then she will have more friends because then she won't be one of those girls who is mean and will be even better than the "nerd club!"
It made me realize that it is these little stepping stones and moments that help us build up who we are to become and stand for what we know is right. I can't imagine the obstacles that she will face in the third, fourth, fifth and forever, but one right choice at a time!

Ali- I am so proud of you for realizing that what you and the girls were doing was not okay and that by making people feel left out, and "whispering" and being mean are not what we are here for. You are an amazing, sweet daughter that I am so Lucky to have and learn from!! You will always be better than any Nerd in my eyes!!

No comments: