Friday, July 9, 2010

"Pooh Blanket"


At my family baby shower my sister in law Jen gave me a blanket she had made. I didn't know at the time,but it would become Alis' favorite blanket. She has slept, traveled, thrown up, slobbered, you name it and this blanket has been by Alis' side for the last (almost) seven years. Ali from day one had a connection with what we know call her "Pooh" blanket. When it was first made it was bright pink and had a very subtle winnie the pooh figure in the fabric, now, you barely can tell it is pink, all the cotton has lost it's fluffyness and there pretty much isn't a spot that resembles winnie the pooh. Ali has loved it X a million. The best part about this blanket is my sister in law also made a matching one for my neice who was born 5 days later, so they both have this special blanket which has become both of their favorites.



One day last week Ali walked up to me and said, "Mom am I getting to be to old to have a Pooh blanket?" (her birthday is in a week, so i figured she has been thinking about turning 7). I told her that even grown ups have things that are thier favorites, and keep them as long as they want. I told her it didn't matter if she was 7 or 77 if she has something she loves than she can keep it as long as she wants. She looked a little torn- and said, "well I just think I might be getting to old for it." as she said that her eyes filled up with tears. She started crying and I told her there isn't a reason to cry because no one was making her give it up. She continued to cry some more and I asked if someone told her she was getting to old. " No one had" she just felt like she is a lot older and needed to make a big girl decision. (I had no idea, turning 7 makes you so mature!!)
After we talked for a little bit, she left the room. I wanted her to make her own decision, but as she was crying my heart was also feeling really sad because this was a part of her that I didn't know if I was ready to be done with. Something about it just makes me still feel like she is my little Ali. I didn't want to persuade her either way though and so i didn't say anything more. After some time she came back in and asked if I had a box. I played dumb and asked what it was for, and she said, "It's just time!" so i went to the basement and found a file box an handed it to her.
The next thing I knew she was in her room poking holes into the box and writing on a paper. As i got closer I looked at the note it read....
Good by forever Winay a Powe, (heart, heart) good by

and she left her favorite teddy bear and picture of her in the box. She then sealed it up with tape and wrote on the top..
I'm nover going to see you again. I love you.

It was the saddest thing in the world. I asked her if she was sure, and she just sadly nodded her head. I asked where she wanted it and she wanted it packed away in the top of the closet. Since I am pretty short, I told her I would as soon as I got a chair. I had forgotten about it as the day progressed, and was busy with other things. As it got later, and later I looked over and saw Ali looking at the box. I smiled at her and she then said, " I guess I don't have to get rid of it today!!" then she pulled it out and went to sleep.

It was so sad to imagine what one little blanket has meant to not only her, but me as her mom. THere have been many nights when she just couldn't function or go to sleep unless she had that "pooh" blanket. I don't know what made her think she was to old, but it was cute to watch her emotions try to figure out what she should do. I love Ali so much and no matter what the situation is she always tries to make the best decisions, and I love her for that!!

This is a picture of her blanket now, vs, the original fabric. It is pretty funny how much she has loved it to pieces!!

3 comments:

Krystal said...

Tell Ali that I still sleep with my blanket every night. It goes on every trip, to have every baby, you name it I take it. Yes I might be too old, but come on it's a baby blanket!!! What a sweet girl Ali is. I read all these cute things about her on this blog and can't get over how much older she seems for her age. She is such a special girl and you are blessed to have her.

Catherine said...

Kristin.. I love reading your blog. It makes me sad to think of the time when Madi will outgrow her "baby" stuff. They grow so fast don't they. Miss you!

Catherine said...

This makes me sad! I guess eventually they have to grow up, but really does it have to be so fast? I can't believe that Ali is almost 7. I still remember your cut belly when you were prego with her!