Thursday, January 22, 2009

8 doctors in four days!!

Our weekend has been a little chaotic, filled with A LOT of DOCTORS!!! It all started on Saturday. Fro had the day off so he decided to go skiing with his buddy Dave. It was his first time skiing, and I wished I could have gone to see him battle it out with the skis and poles, But unfortunately I ended up battleing it out with the nurses at our local pediatric office. It all started when Cam yanked my flat iron cord (it was set at a temp. of 366 degrees) onto his little baby foot. How did he get a steaming hot flat iron you ask-- I let him sit on the counter while I do my hair, and I always put the iron, and blow dryer in the other socket, but he managed to get a little grasp of it and pull it right onto his foot. The poor little guy got burnt in two areas on his foot. As he sat there screaming I couldn't see where it had landed until I noticed the fleshy skin hanging from his foot, and off of the flat iron--Yikes it was so sad. So the doctors office told me to run right over because they could be third degeree because it wasn't blistering, just really white and fleshy! So I head on over. As I pull up to the office which is only 5 minutes away there is only one car in the parking lot and it is a cleaning truck. Are you kidding me, they told me the wrong office--URGH- my screaming child in the back in tons of pain, and Ali sweetly singing twinkle twinkle little star trying to calm him down. So we continue to the other office that is 15 minutes away-- Yeah it was a very long car ride, and Yes I was speeding the entire way. To make matters worse, the receptionist sees him screaming in pain, and says, "We will work him in as quickly as we can." The worst part was there weren't any other patients in the waiting area, but as one came in they took them straight back!!!!!! That bugs!! 20 minutes later, and still screaming they take him to another room to wait an additional 25 minutes (still screaming, still open wound that is burnt) No hurry though!!! FInally the doctor comes in and covers his little wounds and tells me he has second degree burns and they should heal up fine as long as they didn't get any infection in there. I don't know what waiting an extra 45 minutes could do for infection in a doctors office, but luckily it made him feel much better--- As we sat there discussing it, we realized he is also getting is second tooth in and is feeling the pain from that too. Poor little guy!!!


So after going through that drama I sent a text up to fro on the ski slopes telling him it had been a day from "HELL" and I don't use that word often, but boy did I learn to bite my tongue because then...........................................................
Ali ENDED UP IN THE ER




That Night Fro and I went on a date night and came back to find Ali had a bit of a cough. Normal for our little Asthmatic child, but it was a pretty good little cough. So we gave her the usual breathing treatment and it usually takes care of it. Rough night--- She was up coughing all night and did multiple treatments to help. It wasn't helping. She was starting to have a really hard time breathing and her heart was really working. So what do you do on a sunday morning. Go to INSTACARE. To make a long story short, We saw two doctors at Instacare, they regulated her heart and oxygen levels and sent us home hoping she would get better. We watched her and things didn't improve. At 4:30 I took her back and they told me she wasn't safe to travel in a car and a ambulance would need to transport her to the hospital. Oh let the bills start pileing!!! So I told Ali to just enjoy this because hopefully it would be the only time her or I would go in an ambulance. I only had my cell phone camera but I got some great photos of her enjoying the stretcher and the whole ordeal!! It was pretty fun, and she was smiling for the first time all day!
So then we got admitted to the hospital .......
They found some PNEUMONIA in her lungs, and they were treating her for Asthma Exassperation with peumonia. So we were there from Sunday until Wednesday. Thank goodness for family and friends to help kill time. We kept asking Ali what she wanted and all she would say is, "VISITORS, I want lots of VISITORS "
So that is exactly what she got!


We got to ride in the WAGON a lot,
it was a little tricky with her IV pole and oxygen,
but we made it work. Cam loved it too!




We love cousins who came to play.....





And the best Pappa in town,
who almost got us kicked out for his craziness with the wheelchair.



And Uncle Mike who came two days in a row to help brake up the day. He spent over two hours one day just playing with Ali and he even played with the little figurine people and used girl voices too! Thanks Mike!!



How lucky are WE!!

Cousin Kate and Aunt Heather came right after
returnig from St. George.



Our cute neighbors the Jones' came and Cadence
is in Alis' class at school. She made Ali the cutest
get well soon Card and cookies.

And we can't forget the three Amigos who helped kill
time by taking a wagon ride with us.

And last but not least, Uncle bud came and visited too!
We were so glad so many people care about our little
Ali, she continued talking about what a great time she
had because of all the VISITORS~! Thanks EVERYONE!


In order to leave the nurses had to take Alis IV out and
they had to rip the tape off of her arms. She cried and
screamed for awhile after that. It really ruined her day.
She was still crying when we got home and I layed down by her
and asked what was wrong. She told me that it was "just the worst day ever"
I am pretty sure it was because there were NO visitors at home!!







6 comments:

cyrie said...

Sounds like a fun packed time! Good thing you have such a great family! Tell Ali I know how she feels. I was at the hospital countless times as a kid for asthma! Yuck. I had one of those breathing machines at home too. I had to have one of those breathing treatments a couple of months ago. Poor Ali.

Tracie Bramhall said...

I had heard about the burn on Cam. I am glad that was not third degree.

I am can not believe Ali's story. What a crazy weekend.

I hope things smooth out and maybe we can start hanging out a little more often.

Chante said...

Oh man...you really did have an awful day....did child protective services come to see if you were secretly beating your children? Just kidding.....I feel so sorry for you guys and am glad Cam turned out good and that Ali is feeling better...poor girl!

Raising Helm said...

Goodness!!! you def won the "go get 'em" award this week. You know, you don't need to prove anything to me. You are a great mom and trying to balance everything while Fro is hum dingin' around the mountains doesn't need to be that challenging. j/k I hope the kiddies are doing well and that you parents are coping with the wee foot and breathing trreatments. Here's a question-did you have to look up the word pneumonia? I'm not even sure I know how to spell it...ha ha-anyway, I hope your days are brighter and cheers for your efforts.

Spackman's said...

Oh my gosh Kristen I had no idea! I am ofically the worst neighbor :( Let me know if I can do anything for you guys. you are the cutest little mom! Hey look at the bright side at least fro didn't get hurt skiing for the first time lol

Tanya said...

Wow! That is crazy. Poor Cam and Poor Ali. I hope everyone is feeling better.