Monday, May 18, 2009

Space Day

In kindergarten the last two weeks of school the kids can dress up for all kinds of different days. Well Ali asked what day it was and I told her it was Space Day. She was a little upset that she didn't have any space clothes. So I quickly thought of what else she could wear and came up with putting star stickers on her face and making star sticker earings, and she LOVED it!!
She wore a shirt that had a couple of stars and she was so excited she had the perfect space attire. As I drove up to her school and looked in the back seat I saw her nervously looking out the window at all the other kids lineing up. She looked back at me with her cute star face and said, "Mom none of the other kids have stars on their faces." I told her that they probably forgot and they would be jealous of her great stars. She got this super nervous look on her face and she kept looking out the window very unsure of what to do. She said, "What if they all make fun of me because of my stars?" I asked her if she liked them and she said she did, and then I told her that is all that mattered and whatever the kids said didn't matter as long as she liked the way she looked. She took it in, but still was very apprehensive about the stars on her face. As we sat there another minute, she took a deep breath in and said, "OK I am going to try this!!"
It was so cute to watch her find her own self confidence. I hate thinking that she already has to worry what the other kids say. She is only 5!! I stayed and watched her approach the other kids walking REALLY slow. She hesitated a little, but lined up by the other kids. A part of me just wanted to stay with her and tell everyone how great she looked, but I knew she had to do it herself!!

She had a great Space Day! As I picked her up she was stickerless and I asked what happened, and she told me she took them off and put them in her back pack! Well at least she tried!! I love my little shy sweetness!!




1 comment:

Raising Helm said...

I love it! it reminds me of that sticker story with the stars and the circles. Ali is such a sweet heart and in the last picture-she reminds me of you. I don't even think I knew what self confidence was until 10th grade. Goodness! you are a great mom!