Thursday, March 25, 2010

The "UCK" family

Every week Ali brings home spelling words. It usually consists of 4 words and then 2 sets of "ending families", such as the -ing family, or the -ot family. this helps the kids to learn there are many words that end in that family. Example in the -ing family there are words like: bring, sing, ring,bing,ting, thing- etc. Well every week Ali loves to sound out every possible word to fit into that family. A couple weeks ago fro said, "I'm glad there isn't an -uck family, that could be bad."
Well what do you know- this week we got the -uck family.
As I was going over the list with Ali I had to break the news to her that there was a bad word in the -uck family. It was so cute to watch her face find out that a bad word was in the -uck family. I told her what it was and that we don't say that word because it is really bad.
She then went to tell Fro that the -uck family had a bad word in it. she was so cute telling him that she learned the F word and that it is part of the -uck family. He told her again, that we never say it because there are some words we just don't say. She said, "I know we don't say them. I already know the S word and I don't say it either." He said you know the S word. And she whispered to me that it was STUPID. Once again we had to tell her there was also another bad S word to. Then she said she heard there was a bad H word and a bad B word and what were they. Fro didn't realize there was a bad H word and I had to explain Hell to both of them, and then explain it was also a place. Then we decided that those swear words were enough for one day. I can only imagine what is going around the 1st grade this week.......buck, cuck, duck, *uck, guck, huck, luck, muck, puck,truck....... You gotta love first graders!!!

2 comments:

Fredia said...

This is always a very scary week for first grade teachers:) This year I have escaped unscathed. Not the case last year!

Raising Helm said...

That it too funny. YOu are a brave soul. I am sure it is always helpful to have a husband willing to explain the details. ha ha ha-She is a funny one. They may need to kick that little letter out of the "uck " family. I am sure Ai can come up with a story for that :)